Ok, this isn't a MOC, but I did some heavy upgrading to the 8043 motorized excavator which is definately worth mentioning
It is a very nice model, but there were some things I wasn't happy with:
- Lifting the boom was underpowered
- It used normal batteries
- Bucket was too big, doesn't have a correct rotation point and it's working range is too small
- Working range of the dipper was too small
- Side-effects of "2 drivetrains throug a turntable" were too noticable
Not all the functions were available simultaniously, switching is neccecary. Moving the boom/dipper/bucket was not possible during rotating.
All this together made it quite a poor digging machine. This could be done better...
So I started rebuilding the model. Now it includes:
- Full independent simultanious controll of all the functions
- Joystick-controller that works just like a real excavator. Based on a desigh by Jason Railton
- 8878 Rechargeable battery
- XL-motor for lifting boom
- Improved bucket looks and operation
- Improved dipper range
- All the gear-reduction moved to the undercarriage to reduce mentioned side-effects
- Cabin roof
- Altogether these mods considerably enhance the playability of the model.
The remote controller deserves some extra attention. It's an adapted version of Jason Railton'sThumbstick, which I found on TechnicBricks Blogspot.
Because it works so well now, I decided to make photo-instructions for this mod so everyone can turn their 8043 into a real mean digging machine. Go to the Ultimate 8043 instructions page to get them.